Providing The Compassionate, Skilled Counsel Your Case Demands

  1. Home
  2.  | 
  3. IMMIGRATION & NATURALIZATION - Family Immigration
  4.  | How can you bring your fiancé(e) to the U.S. to marry?

How can you bring your fiancé(e) to the U.S. to marry?

On Behalf of | Mar 13, 2024 | IMMIGRATION & NATURALIZATION - Family Immigration

Just because you are a United States citizen does not mean the person you fall in love with will be. The world is a large place, and it is full of amazing people.

Falling in love with someone who does not have the right to live in the U.S. will make things more complicated, but not impossible. Each year, thousands of U.S. citizens help their fiancé(e)s gain the necessary visas so they can marry and live together in the U.S.

The K-1 nonimmigrant visa

A K-1 visa is the one you will need to request for a fiancé(e) who does not currently have the right to live here. Here are some things to consider before applying for one:

Are you eligible to marry each other?

Ensure you have all the necessary paperwork and translations. If either of you were previously married, ensure the divorce is finalized. You only have 90 days to complete the marriage starting from their date of arrival into the U.S.

Can you prove your relationship is genuine?

Not everyone seeks a fiancé(e) visa for the right reasons. Some are looking to marry for convenience rather than love. Immigration agents are wise to this, so you should come prepared to prove your relationship is genuine. Photos together, joint rental contracts from overseas or print-outs of your messages to each other can all help.

Can you prove you have the financial means to support your fiancé(e)

Marrying will give your fiancé(e) the right to work, but you or they will need proof of enough funds to support them through the initial period.

Filling out the K-1 application form does not guarantee success, so it’s crucial to understand the rules and comply with them. This will be simpler with appropriate legal guidance.